I have lots of great mentors in my professional life and they all have very different approaches to mentoring. Here are some of my favorite approaches/qualities of my mentors:
- Be a good listener. You don't always have to offer feedback. Sometimes you just listen.
- Lead by example. I'm constantly watching how my mentors react to situations and respond to others. I take mental notes constantly.
- Laugh and make me laugh! Most of my mentors have an excellent sense of humor and can diffuse sticky situations with a laugh. :)
- Take one for the team. Sometimes situations are complicated and good mentors, especially in supervisory roles, are not afraid to take the hit to let their team save face.
- Make other people look good. Even when the going gets tough, good mentors can make sure everyone walks away feeling like a winner. :)
- Share share SHARE! I think the biggest thing a good mentor can do is share! Share knowledge. Share experience. Share resources. As my good friend +Kellie Lahey says, "Together we're better!"