BEST. HACK. EVER! Thank you, Nicholas Cage! #GAFE #Chrome

Last week a BHS student brought me his chromebook and he was VERY frustrated that he had been hacked and/or thought he had a "virus."  On his screen, I saw something similar to this...


The student did a Google Images search for "food" for his culinary arts class.  However, suddenly all of the pictures in the search results were replaced with pictures of Nicholas Cage.

I have to confess ... I cracked up laughing.  I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL KIDS!  (Disclaimer: No, I do not condone hacking!  I just thought this was clever!)  Turns out, the student had left his chromebook unattended and a fellow classmate played a little trick on him.  After a quick Google search, I found an article about this Google Chrome extension...


I showed the student how to find his extensions and delete the extension in question.  :)  I also informed our Tech Dept.  Another confession, I immediately started thinking "Who can I do this to?!"  If I am thinking that, then we probably have students thinking the same thing.  

After sharing this little gem with my Techs4Tex family, my pal Mike Wallace found this Chrome extension that adds a mustache to all of the faces in your browser.  :)


Useless.  Harmless.  Endless fun.  Kids ... don't try this at home.  :)  Unless it's April Fool's Day!!!



Comments

  1. I love it! I have a few colleagues who totally deserve this Nicholas Cage extension :) This Ryan Gosling extension is one of my favorites: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hey-girl/jcpmmhaffdebnmkjelaohgjmndeongip. I also meant to comment on your Audible post. I love Audible and have been listening to books while I drive to/from work or on long car trips. I find biographies, memoirs, comedy, and interesting non-fiction to be the easiest to listen to since you don't really have to follow a complex plot. Such a great way to read AND pass the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks, Alicia! Hope your year is going well! I have TOTALLY dropped the ball on the Lean In circle. :( Maybe in January!

      Delete
  2. This made my year! :-) I love the creativity of students. My IT friends do stuff like this to teach us to protect our stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice information, good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need; thanks for this Great post.
    y8gold

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment