So, I registered for the three-day academy and even got my colleagues, @anndebolt and @edtech2love to come with me. :) We spent three GRUELING days cramming for exams and taking them. I was not prepared for the three 60-question, 90 minute times tests that were required for this! Oh, and did I mention that the passing score is 80%? Yeah. Brutal.
Luckily, the gals of ESC6 gave us what we needed to pass the tests and achieve qualified status. I HIGHLY recommend going through ESC6 if you're in that area because the trainers are hilarious (as well as knowledgeable!) and can help offset the stress of this process!
So here's how it works, in case you're interested...
- There are 6 tests you must take and pass (Docs, Admin, Sites, Mail, Calendar, and Other Tools).
- Each test is $15 ($90 for all exams).
- Each test has 60 questions, you only have 90 minutes to complete each one and you must make an 80% to pass.
- If you do not pass the test the first time, you have to wait 7 days to retake it.
- When you pass all tests, you receive "qualified" status. You must complete an application and be accepted in order to become certified.
If you are crazy enough to do this on your own (and I know some who have done this!), here are some helpful links:
- Go here to study for the tests.
- Go here to register for and take the tests.
- Go here to apply to become an official "Google Certified Trainer."
- I also found the Google Apps Help Center to be very beneficial during the test.
Also, my advice ... Have two computers set up for the test. Make sure your testing computer is running Chrome. Have another one set up to "Google" the answers. Use the training site and the help site to look up questions you don't know the answers to. Trust me. There will be many.
My best advice ... Find a training center, like ES6, and study for/take the tests with them. This is not something I would have wanted to do on my own!!!
Good luck and let me know if you're interested and need help getting started!!