The day started with a BANG with Brie Smith from Garland ISD. Brie is a Title I Technology Facilitator and serves 47 campuses! Garland ISD has implemented a technology coaching program on each of their elementary campuses to help get more technology into the classrooms. They have a four step program:
- Have the vision and BELIEVE in it!
- Provide quality instruction (training).
- Provide ongoing support and encouragement.
- Hold teachers ACCOUNTABLE!
Several sites were mentioned in this session that really peaked my interest...
- Talking Pets - create your own talking pet!
- Neo K-12 - educational videos and games for kids (great for science!)
- Bubble Comment - create video greeting cards
- Jalapenyo - create and email video eCards
The next session I attended was on geocaching - a topic I have recently become really excited about and even blogged about. I ordered a geomate jr. last year and experimented with it a little on the BES playground. (FUN!) These ladies from Katy ISD discussed some different geocaching terms, equipment, resource websites, and implementation ideas. Again, don't be surprised when I ask YOU to be my geocaching guinea pig!!!
I was THRILLED when I went to my next session, These TEKS are a' Changing, to find that one of my FAVORITE presenters was a co-presenter of the session! I first saw Amy Mayer at a Region VI session on Web 2.0 tools last summer and then later visited her at Conroe ISD to see how they are using technology in their classrooms. Amy and Jennifer Bergland from TCEA shared how the Technology TEKS have changed from kindergarten through twelfth grade. As classroom teachers, you must remember that technology TEKS are your responsibility - just like your content area TEKS! A few things to check out to get up to date...
- Prezi Presentation by Amy Mayer "Happy Birthday TA TEKS"
- Summarized version of the new TEKS with project examples by Amy Mayer
- New TA TEKS side-by-side for grades K-8 by Amy Mayer
- Project Based Learning from Bie.org
If you are at BES, you will be excited to know that our Cartridges for Kids money purchased a set of 6 digital cameras that will be available for check out next year! Not sure where to get started?! Here are some resources to get your creative juices flowing and get the ideas growing...
- 1001 Uses for a Digital Camera
- 100 Ways to Use Digital Cameras
- Using Digital Cameras in the Classroom
- Have an iPhone or iPod touch? Check out these cool camera apps...
Be watching your mailbox (yes - old fashioned snail mail!) BES and BMS teachers...you never know what your crazy Instructional Technologist may be sending your way over the summer to get YOUR wheels spinning!!!