30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 6

Day 6 - Explain: What does a good mentor “do”?
I have lots of great mentors in my professional life and they all have very different approaches to mentoring.  Here are some of my favorite approaches/qualities of my mentors:

  • Be a good listener.  You don't always have to offer feedback.  Sometimes you just listen.
  • Lead by example.  I'm constantly watching how my mentors react to situations and respond to others.  I take mental notes constantly.
  • Laugh and make me laugh!  Most of my mentors have an excellent sense of humor and can diffuse sticky situations with a laugh.  :)
  • Take one for the team.  Sometimes situations are complicated and good mentors, especially in supervisory roles, are not afraid to take the hit to let their team save face.
  • Make other people look good.  Even when the going gets tough, good mentors can make sure everyone walks away feeling like a winner.  :)
  • Share share SHARE!  I think the biggest thing a good mentor can do is share!  Share knowledge.  Share experience.  Share resources.  As my good friend +Kellie Lahey says, "Together we're better!"




Comments