Instructional Materials and Technology - My IMCAT Conference Experience

Last week my colleagues and I traveled to Corpus Christi to present at the IMCAT Conference with our boss (@RodLeer), who is on the IMCAT Board of Directors.  I'll be honest - we didn't really know what to expect.  I mean, these are textbook people.  We're technology people.  Textbook.  Technology.  Hmmmm...  I was so pleasantly surprised, though, and would go back to work with this group again and again and again!

First of all, I have to give a shout out to one of my readers, Erica Gruber!  (Hi, Erica!)  I met Erica two years ago at TCEA's Tots and Technology Conference in Galveston, TX.  We shared a moment as panicked presenters when the conference WIFI went out and we were wondering how to present at a technology conference with NO INTERNET!  :)  I ran into Erica again last week at the IMCAT conference and it just reminded me of how important it is to network, network, network!!

My colleague, Kim (@edtech2love), and I presented two sessions at the conference: Take a Ride with Google Drive and 30 Apps in 60 Minutes.  Both sessions were wonderful and fun, but also fast and furious!  I think the best part of all was getting our participants to do Mr. Spall's class cheers!  Check this out...



My other colleague (@AnnDeBolt) and my boss were also busy doing "Appy Hour" sessions.  This is a great way to let participants share their favorite apps and also build their PLN.  Each session is divided into groups and each person in the group shares their favorite app.  Then, each group chooses one person to go present their app for a "smackdown."  :)  The winner taken home an iTunes gift card!

As rewarding as the sessions were, I also truly enjoyed the speakers and overall tone of the conference. Technology was mentioned several times and I think even "textbook people" are starting to see the value in instructional technology.  There are more and more FREE online resources available to teachers and students and the information online is more current, more interactive, and overall more stimulating.  I would love to know what some of YOUR favorite online educational resources are!



Comments